Gifts of Stock or Appreciated Securities
Take advantage of appreciated securities while avoiding capital gains tax by making a donation of your assets.
How It Works
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year to the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- The AIChE sells your securities and uses the proceeds for our programs.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer (even if you originally paid much less for them).
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
- Giving appreciated stock can be more beneficial than giving cash. The "cost" of your gift is often less than the deduction you gain by making it.
- More detail on gifts of stock and appreciated assets.
- Frequently asked questions on gifts of stock.
- Contact us so we can assist you through every step.
Explore More Gift Options
Will or Trust →
You can plan a gift that will not affect your cash flow.
Appreciated Securities →
Take advantage of appreciated securities, avoid tax.
Life Insurance →
Make a significant gift, no matter the size of your estate.
Retirement Plan →
Donate double-taxed assets and leave more to family.
Donor-Advised Fund →
Make a gift from your DAF, or name us a beneficiary.
Planning your estate and legacy for future generations, including your charitable interests, takes careful evaluation. Consulting with the appropriate professionals can assist you.